- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Mon Feb 14 05:22:17 EST 2005

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

> [please check your news-client. For some reason, the tag "[EVALUATION]"
> was removed]
>
> I want to develope large scale applications, and for this I need an
> stable official version of the python language, either binary or
> produced directly out of official sources, completely with an
> open-source tool-chain.

Where does that requirement come from? If you want to create large scale
apps, the price for a msvc++ compiler shouldn't matter. And: Windows is a
non-free platform at first. If you have to or want to develop on top of it,
be prepared to pay. Its as simple as that. If you want something cheaper -
you'll have to put some effort into it. Or use linux.

Additionally, your point is moot because there is no need for python _core_
developers or the foundation to support every imaginable platform/compiler
combination. Instead this can be done by companies - see activestate. So if
you want it, step up and do it yourself so your work _becomes_ the official
mingw port. Community gratitude would be guaranteed.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch