- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Mon Feb 14 05:31:47 EST 2005

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
>> I want to develope large scale applications, and for this I need an
>>  stable official version of the python language, either binary or
>> produced directly out of official sources, completely with an
>> open-source tool-chain.
>
> Where does that requirement come from? If you want to create large
> scale apps, the price for a msvc++ compiler shouldn't matter. And:
> Windows is a non-free platform at first. If you have to or want to
> develop on top of it, be prepared to pay. Its as simple as that. If
> you want something cheaper - you'll have to put some effort into it.
> Or use linux.

I will not go into this 'twisting' games.

the requirement "Use of an open-source tool-chain" is nothing special.

> Additionally, your point is moot because there is no need for python
> _core_ developers or the foundation to support every imaginable
> platform/compiler combination.

MinGW is not "every imaginable platform/compliler".

> Instead this can be done by companies - see activestate. So if you
> want it, step up and do it yourself so your work _becomes_ the
> official mingw port. Community gratitude would be guaranteed.

I'm not intrested in creating an distribution.

I provide an analysis of the situation, context: newcomer, disapointed
from JAVA.

One of my questions is:

[REQUOTE]
>> c) Why are the following efforts not _directly_ included in the
>> python source code base?
>>
>> http://jove.prohosting.com/iwave/ipython/pyMinGW.html
[/REQUOTE]

.