wxPython OGL future

D H x at y.z
Mon Feb 14 21:44:59 EST 2005

PD wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am sort of a new developer to python and working in an academic
> environment. I climbed the learning curve on wxPython far enough to get
> the functionality I want out of it so far... Now Im in need of a
> diagramming library (something visio-like) to use for my software and
> the only option I have seen is OGL. Yet I read that OGL is dead, no
> longer maintained, obsucure and lacking documentation. Instead of
> taking a leap of faith and walking off a cliff, Ide appreciate if some
> people out there who have come across a similar problem have any
> solutions or suggestions for me...

Well OGL still works as far as I know.
Check out also pyxel.  It hasn't been updated in almost a year though:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/p/r/prochak/pyxel.html

> I am so disappointed at the moment I think Im about ready to throw in
> the towel and crawl back to java. I love python, but it has some real
> difficulties when it comes to making library choices on what _to_ and
> _not to_ get yourself into.

Python baby, you broke my heart :)

You can still use python in java, see jython.
There is a similar tool that works in Java or .NET called Piccolo:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/piccolo/
I'm using it with boo, a python-like language for .NET and Mono:
http://boo.codehaus.org/ but you can also use it with IronPython or
Jython.  On the Linux side, see DiaCanvas (can use from CPython with
pygtk) and DiaCanvas-Sharp (can use from boo or ironpython):
http://diacanvas.sourceforge.net/
http://diacanvas.sourceforge.net/csharp.php