[EVALUATION] - E01: The Java Failure - May Python Helps?

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Sun Feb 6 00:39:04 EST 2005

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Ilias Lazaridis" <ilias at lazaridis.com> wrote in message
> news:cu2m3q$km1$1 at usenet.otenet.gr...
>
> If you ask too much that other people do your searching for you, answers
> will dry up.

I don't ask people to search for me.

I ask people for their specific knowledge about specific python language
constructs.

This is a simple cooperation.

I've spend very much time to extract this specifi evaluation template:

http://lazaridis.com/case/stack/index.html#evaluation

Python community can 'fill' it quickly with the relevant technology (if
it exists).

The evaluation result can serve as a fundamental part for a _practical_
showcase how Python beats Java.

> But here are a couple that you might not find on google
> anyway, at least not easily.

thank you.

>>I want to add metadata to everything within my design (functions, data,
>>classes, ...), if possible with a standard way.
>
> You can annotate, by adding attributes to, modules, functions, classes, and
> class instances.  You can not directly do so with 'basic' types: numbers,
> sequences, and dicts -- and some others.  You can, however, either extend
> or wrap anything with your own classes to get something you can annotate
> (but don't ask me for the details).

=> {annotation via attributes on modules, functions, classes and objects}

=> {not available with basic types (numbers, sequences, dicts, ...) }

=> {unconfirmed: possibility to extend/wrap basic types with own classes}

>>I want to generate things (code, txt, html etc.) out of my object-model,
>> whilst using with a flexible generator, if possible a standard one.
>
> One standard way to generate text from objects is to use custom classes,
> each with a custom __str__ method.
[...]
> Then 'print html_doc_instance' can print the html doc
> corresponding to the object model.

I understand this procedure.

I would like to use a standard way, which uses the standard metadata
[implicit/explicit defined].

Does such standard exist?

> Like others, I recommend you spend a day with Python if you wish to learn
> more.

I am spending "a day" with it's community.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com