Considering python - have a few questions.

Heather Stovold h_stovold at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 12 23:47:25 EST 2005

Hi all...

I am looking at writing a little program for my own use, and probably for a
bunch of other people too, and I am trying to decide what would be the best
language to use.

I am a "retired" programmer, that started in the DOS world.  (Well, I guess
I started pre-DOS...).  I learned C++ (for DOS), and Pascal (for DOS) when I
was in school - and programmed for several years in Basic.  (Ok - it wasn't
my choice - but it was what I was hired to program in - and each single-user
license was around $7,000 - so who was I to argue!)   I later did some stuff
in Visual Basic, and did some OOP in it.

HOWEVER - I have not programmed a single darned thing for over 5 years.
And although I do remember how to program in general, I don't seem to
remember Visual Basic that well...  so I'm looking around.  (After all, If
I'm going to have to relearn a language - might as well be worth while!)

I am wondering how hard it is to do what I want in python, however.

I need to make a GUI interface.  Some of the screens need to be dynamically
created, with the screen information in a database. Included in the database
will be pictures (.gif or .jpg) that need to be displayed.  A second
database would hold the user's data.   I would also need to be able to print
reports made in a similar fashion.

I would want the program to run in Windows for sure.  If it could work on a
Mac and other systems, that would be a plus.  I would really love it to be
able to also be able to be run on the internet (allowing more than one
person access to the data), but I've never done anything other than basic
web pages with a web page editor (dreamweaver.)

btw - I have the database designed (and the program info database filled) in
Access....

I don't mind working hard to learn how to do it....   I just want to know if
Python is a good choice or not!

Thanks for your patience!