variable declaration

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sat Feb 5 04:53:07 EST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:49:15 +0100, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Michael Tobis <mt at 3planes.com> wrote:
>
>> With all due respect, I think "so go away if you don't like it" is
>> excessive, and "so go away if you don't like it and you obviously don't
>> like it so definitely go away" is more so. The writer is obviously
>
> I disagree: I believe that, if the poster really meant what he wrote, he
> may well be happier using other languages and all the declarations he
> cherishes, so recommending that course of action to him is quite proper
> on my part.

You are wrong, for once.

That poster could have been me a few years back, when I was younger, more
stupid, more arrogant and less experienced. He'll get over it.

Also, what he described /is/ a problem. I still get bitten by it now and
then. It's just that it has even larger /benefits/ which aren't obvious at
first.

In BASIC, /bin/sh and perl without 'use strict', the lack of declarations is
only a negative thing without benefits. If you know those languages, it's
easy to jump to the conclusion that this applies to Python, too.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!