parsing IMAP responses?

Paul Rubin http
Mon Feb 14 17:18:16 EST 2005

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:
> The imaplib module return values are mostly useless as-is:
> they're just whatever string the server sent (or in some cases
> a list of strings).  You've got to parse them using the IMAP
> syntax before you can do much with them.
>
> Is there a library somewhere that impliments the IMAP protocol
> syntax?

It's very messy.  I don't know of one that's in distribution.  I think
there's one buried inside a certain commercial product.  I wrote one a
while back that is currently inaccessible (disk crash, need to get it
recovered) but it's not really useable.  IMAP syntax is very very messy.
Are you trying to write an IMAP server?