parsing IMAP responses?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Feb 14 17:28:44 EST 2005

On 2005-02-14, Paul Rubin <http> wrote:

>> Is there a library somewhere that impliments the IMAP protocol
>> syntax?
>
> It's very messy.

It sure is.  You'd think something intended to be
machine-readable would be easier to parse.

> I don't know of one that's in distribution.

That's what I thought based on my Google results, but I thought
I'd ask.

> I think there's one buried inside a certain commercial
> product.  I wrote one a while back that is currently
> inaccessible (disk crash, need to get it recovered) but it's
> not really useable.  IMAP syntax is very very messy. Are you
> trying to write an IMAP server?

No, I'm writing a client, and I was a bit surprised to find out
that imaplib doesn't really parse the responses at all. Since
I'm writing a client I only have to parse the responses to the
commands that I actually send, but it still a bit messy.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm an East Side
                                  at               TYPE...