[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 14 06:20:14 EST 2005

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

[snip]

>> The answer to most of your questions is, "Because no one has yet
>> volunteered their time and effort to get the job done."
>

> this answer do not fit in most questions.
 >
> please review them again.

Against my better judgement, I have.

It certainly fits a, b, and c. It also fits d if you place an implicit
"Yes, " in front of the answer. 4/6. I stick with my assessment.

>> If this is important to you, you need to step up yourself and get it
>> done and not expect other people to volunteer their unpaid time to
>> satisfy your whims.
>>
>> The open source Python community is driven by volunteerism, not a
>> sense of entitlement. If this does not appeal to you, then perhaps the
>> Python community is not the right one for you.
>

> I ask some questions and suggest some things.
>
> Voluntarlily and without beeing paid.

Questions and suggestions are don't count for much in this community.
Code and well-written patches do.

Stop wasting time on c.l.py and get to work! If you can't do that, then
this is not the community you are looking for.

> There are many commercial systems around python.

And yet there is not one company that has someone devoted full-time to
developing Python. Not even Guido. Most of core-Python development
happens in people's spare, unpaid time.

Volunteerism is the core of this community. Trust me.

> So please stop this volunteerism-stuff.

No. You are asking others to volunteer their time, or perhaps,
alternately, the PSF and other businesses to volunteer their money to
fund people's time to satisfy *your* wants. I am asking you to volunteer
*your* time to satisfy *your* wants, or alternately, stop writing
questionnaires and bothering us.

Note that this reaction is pretty specific to you and not to other
newcomers. Most newcomers do not carry around a sense of entitlement
that could flatten a small village. Thus, they are treated with respect
and helpfulness. We would appreciate it if you would emulate these
people. On a purely pragmatic note, you have to admit that they are
getting much better help than you are.

> If you like to help me and other newcomers, please give me simple some
> answers on the initial questions.

I did provide some answers. Please review them again.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter