web spider and password protected pages

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Feb 16 20:42:20 EST 2005

jdonnell wrote:
> "Nevertheless, perhaps you'll still post the answer here so
> that others who come along later can benefit from your
> experience in the same way that you benefited from reading
> whatever page you found (even if you didn't benefit from
> my suggestions...). "
>
> Your funny :) Perhaps you should take your own advice. My guess is that
> the google search you described will return different results in a few
> months. Your first post won't benefit those who "come along later".

Sure it will, for those with the wits to understand that I
was trying to show someone how he can *search* for the
information himself, rather than having to beg for others
to do his work for his.  Whatever results Google shows in
a few months is irrelevant... it's the technique that mattered.

If there'd been the slightest sign that you'd actually tried
to find the answer yourself before you asked, your criticism
would be far more effective.

-Peter