Effbot's SimpleXMLWriter fails when py2exe'd

Erik Bethke erikbethke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:32:17 EST 2005

Hello All,

So I have been using Effbot's XML stuff a lot!  And I have been using
py2exe, pygame and wxPython all mixed together...

I am getting this strange error log when writing XML files with his XML
writer.  It appears to be fouling up on the encoding, ONLY in the exe
version.  Runs fine and great as a python script.

What this does is leave the file hanging open...

I could write out the XML myself, but I would rather use his class...
any ideas why it broke?

Thank you,
-Erik

code snippet:
def SaveVocabTree( self ):
    ElementTree( self.vocabXMLTree ).write(self.currentPath,
encoding='utf-8')

error log:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "vocab.py", line 457, in OnAdd
  File "vocab.py", line 483, in AddWord
  File "vocab.py", line 494, in SaveVocabTree
  File "elementtree\ElementTree.pyc", line 666, in write
  File "elementtree\ElementTree.pyc", line 684, in _write
  File "elementtree\ElementTree.pyc", line 754, in _encode
LookupError: unknown encoding: utf-8