[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Tue Feb 15 10:43:41 EST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
[...]
>>> Questions and suggestions are don't count for much in this
>>> community. Code and well-written patches do.
>>>
>>> Stop wasting time on c.l.py and get to work! If you can't do
>>> that, then this is not the community you are looking for.
>>
>> Please speak for yourself.
>
> I think that my participation in the community for the past six years
>  and a rational examination of the responses you have received so far
>  qualify me, just a little bit, to conclude that this community does
> not tolerate your kind of behaviour well.

I do tolerate their behaviour.

I have to.

This is a public resource.

> If you want one that does so tolerate your behaviour, you need to
> keep looking.

I don't need to look.

They read, silently, deriving their conclusions.

About me.

About you.

About the python community.

[It is of course sad, that the "bad manners" / "missing focusation on
the context" of the actively writing part reflects directly to the whole
community.]

>>> And yet there is not one company that has someone devoted
>>> full-time to developing Python. Not even Guido.
>>
>> Who's "Guido"?
>
> The guy who wrote Python originally and is still the head developer.

ok

http://www.python.org/~guido/

>>> Most of core-Python development happens in people's spare, unpaid
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Volunteerism is the core of this community. Trust me.
>>
>> even if:
>>
>> Volunteerism does not exclude Professionalism.
>
> Volunteerism does not, indeed, exclude professionalism. However,
> being professional does not entail satisfying the desires of everyone
> who asks. Being professional does not mean that volunteerism is not
> the driving force of this community.
>
> If this does not appeal to you, then this is not the community that
> you are looking for.

I've not understood what you've written.

But I understand that it is not relevant to the topic.

>>> No. You are asking others to volunteer their time, or perhaps,
>>> alternately, the PSF and other businesses to volunteer their
>>> money to fund people's time to satisfy *your* wants. I am asking
>>> you to volunteer *your* time to satisfy *your* wants,
>>
>> I'm already doing this.
>
> Okay, let me clarify:
[...] - (processing model)

Your suggestions affecting my processing model are irrelevant.

>>> or alternately, stop writing questionnaires and bothering us.
>>
>> Feel free to ignore the threads.
>
> I would have been more than happy to until my web page was used. Now
> I feel some obligation to correct some things.

You webpage is a public resource.

And it was terribly outdated.

Now you have corrected your website.

Thank you.

>> And please speak for yourself.
>
> I am speaking as a member of this community, not necessarily for this
>  community. But I do have some experience with how this community
> behaves and how it responds to people who behave like you do. I know
> that they do not mix well at all.
>
> If you want a community that does tolerate this behaviour, you need
> to keep looking.

I'm not looking for such a community.

>>> Note that this reaction is pretty specific to you and not to
>>> other newcomers. Most newcomers do not carry around a sense of
>>> entitlement that could flatten a small village. Thus, they are
>>> treated with respect and helpfulness. We would appreciate it if
>>> you would emulate these people. On a purely pragmatic note, you
>>> have to admit that they are getting much better help than you
>>> are.
>>
>> I get the help that I want.
>
> You could do it much more efficiently.
[...] - (processing suggestions detected, not readed)

sorry, my processing is not the topic here.

>>> I did provide some answers. Please review them again.
>>
>> Please have the gentleness [against me and the current/future
>> readers] to answer within the context of the original writings.
>
> I will be more careful in the future.

You can still give your answers within the main thread, thus they don't
get lost in this huge thread.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com