[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 14 19:15:40 EST 2005

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>>
>>> Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> this answer do not fit in most questions.
>>>
>>> please review them again.
>>

>> Against my better judgement, I have.
>>
>> It certainly fits a, b, and c. It also fits d if you place an implicit
>> "Yes, " in front of the answer. 4/6. I stick with my assessment.
>

> see below.
>
> [...]
>
>>> I ask some questions and suggest some things.
>>>
>>> Voluntarlily and without beeing paid.
>>

>> Questions and suggestions are don't count for much in this community.
>> Code and well-written patches do.
>>
>> Stop wasting time on c.l.py and get to work! If you can't do that,
>> then this is not the community you are looking for.
>

> Please speak for yourself.

I think that my participation in the community for the past six years
and a rational examination of the responses you have received so far
qualify me, just a little bit, to conclude that this community does not
tolerate your kind of behaviour well.

If you want one that does so tolerate your behaviour, you need to keep
looking.

>>> There are many commercial systems around python.
>>

>> And yet there is not one company that has someone devoted full-time to
>> developing Python. Not even Guido.
>

> Who's "Guido"?

The guy who wrote Python originally and is still the head developer.

>> Most of core-Python development happens in people's spare, unpaid time.
>>
>> Volunteerism is the core of this community. Trust me.
>

> even if:
>
> Volunteerism does not exclude Professionalism.

Volunteerism does not, indeed, exclude professionalism. However, being
professional does not entail satisfying the desires of everyone who
asks. Being professional does not mean that volunteerism is not the
driving force of this community.

If this does not appeal to you, then this is not the community that you
are looking for.

>>> So please stop this volunteerism-stuff.
>>

>> No. You are asking others to volunteer their time, or perhaps,
>> alternately, the PSF and other businesses to volunteer their money to
>> fund people's time to satisfy *your* wants. I am asking you to
>> volunteer *your* time to satisfy *your* wants,
>

> I'm already doing this.

Okay, let me clarify: I am asking you to volunteer your time with
something that is going to be productive. Continuing here on c.l.py as
you have been will not be productive. I've seen dozens of people who act
like you do come in to this newsgroup and leave again unsatisfied.

>> or alternately, stop writing questionnaires and bothering us.
>

> Feel free to ignore the threads.

I would have been more than happy to until my web page was used. Now I
feel some obligation to correct some things.

> And please speak for yourself.

I am speaking as a member of this community, not necessarily for this
community. But I do have some experience with how this community behaves
and how it responds to people who behave like you do. I know that they
do not mix well at all.

If you want a community that does tolerate this behaviour, you need to
keep looking.

>> Note that this reaction is pretty specific to you and not to other
>> newcomers. Most newcomers do not carry around a sense of entitlement
>> that could flatten a small village. Thus, they are treated with
>> respect and helpfulness. We would appreciate it if you would emulate
>> these people. On a purely pragmatic note, you have to admit that they
>> are getting much better help than you are.
>

> I get the help that I want.

You could do it much more efficiently. And in a way that does not
generate the obvious ill-will that you have generated. This thread
*could* have been completely technical and addressed your real concerns
quite quickly. However, you have acted in a way that *invites* the
accusation of trolling, that immediately disinclines people to help you,
that ruins your credibility here.

You *can* act differently, and we *will* respond better.

If you don't want to act differently, then your interaction with this
community will continue to be counterproductive, and I would advise you
to look for some other community that is more responsive.

>>> If you like to help me and other newcomers, please give me simple
>>> some answers on the initial questions.
>>

>> I did provide some answers. Please review them again.
>

> Please have the gentleness [against me and the current/future readers]
> to answer within the context of the original writings.

I will be more careful in the future.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu