Big development in the GUI realm

Luke Skywalker luke at tatooine.planet
Mon Feb 7 21:07:06 EST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:47:30 -0800, Robert Kern <rkern at ucsd.edu>
wrote:
>Now, that's not to say that they are correct in their interpretation of
>the GPL's terms. In fact, if I had to bet on an outcome, I'd probably
>wager that the court would hold that only static linking would force the
>program as a whole to follow the GPL terms. However, I certainly don't
>have the money to pony up to run a test case. Consequently, I try to
>follow the wishes of the copyright holder.

It's strange that something so central hasn't been clarified yet, but
maybe it's part of the changes meant for V.3.

When you think about it, it'd be like banning any closed-source apps
from being developed for Linux, since any application makes syscalls
to the kernel and its libraries.

But the fact is that there are now closed-source apps for that
platform, and are considered legit since those apps don't include code
from the kernel, but instead, merely make calls to binary objects. I
fail to see the difference between making calls to the kernel API and
making calls to Qt libraries.

Luke.