Big development in the GUI realm

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 7 20:47:30 EST 2005

Luke Skywalker wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:47:25 +1100, Tim Churches
> <tchur at optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
>>So there you have it: there must be some portion of the GPLed Program contained in
>>the other work for it to fall under the scope of the GPL, and/or as defined as a
>>derivative work in local copyright law (local because the GPL does not nominate a
>>particular jurisdiction for covering law).
>

> Has someone worked with Qt for Windows before, and could tell us
> whether it involves static or dynamic linking?
>
> If dynamic, then, it doesn't make sense that an EXE that builds on Qt
> should also be GPLed.

*shrug* To my knowledge, no court has ruled either way on the issue. The
FSF holds the position that the new program *should* have a
GPL-compatible license and that the GPL terms hold for the program as a
whole. Trolltech also holds this position, I believe (and this is the
important point if you want to avoid being sued, regardless of how a
court would decide).

Now, that's not to say that they are correct in their interpretation of
the GPL's terms. In fact, if I had to bet on an outcome, I'd probably
wager that the court would hold that only static linking would force the
program as a whole to follow the GPL terms. However, I certainly don't
have the money to pony up to run a test case. Consequently, I try to
follow the wishes of the copyright holder.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter