THREAD_STACK_SIZE and python performance?

jfj jfj at freemail.gr
Sun Feb 13 06:34:35 EST 2005

Stein Morten Sandbech wrote:

> The FreeBSD patch, setting the value to 0x100000
> seems to be enough for most of our zope servers,
> however, I've noticed that we get an occasional
> server death even with this value. This is on normal
> load, but handling many and large CMS operations
> in zope/plone.

Just curious. How much recursion are we talking about here???
Those CMS operations. 100 calls? 1000 calls?

If it's not near that, then the problem should be somewhere else.

> So, any thoughts on even larger thread stacks?

Generally there should be no problems. The only case where the
stack size *may* matter AFAIK, may be threads. Because each thread
has its own stack --in non-stackless python-- stack size may be an issue
if it's too much and there are **many** threads. Otherwise, it should
not have any impact on performance.

jfj

# cure to insomnia: when you lay down, try to figure out
# WTF is wrong with you.