Controlling Pc From Server?

Kartic removethis.kartic.krishnamurthy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 08:54:44 EST 2005

andrea_gavana at tin.it said the following on 2/27/2005 8:40 AM:
> Hello Kartic & NG,
>
>      Thank you for your prompt answer. In effect, I'm trying to work on
> a NT network of 6 PC (plus the server). Sorry to not have been clearer.
> Ideally, I'm trying to monitor the Internet activity of each client (PC)
> on this network (but I'm not a boss trying to control my emplyees, I'm just
> curious on it). I would like to know which PC is connected to Internet (by
> starting something like a "timer" for every PC, and then periodically check
> if a particular PC is connected or not). This should be done from the main
> server.
> Did I make myself clear? Do you think it would be a huge task?
>
> Sorry, it may be a very basic question, but thank you for your help.
>
> Andrea.

Sounds like you are spying :-D

Your requirement may sound basic but I don't *think* it is simple to do.
  Since you are using NT, you can probably see if there is some Network
Usage auditing tool. This might cost you some $$ or may be you can find
some shareware.

For a homegrown solution, if I am not mistaken, you will have to use
libpcap (or pypcap) to monitor the packets being sent and received,
taking care to exclude the local subnet (or your reporting will be
skewed as packets sent to the monitoring server will also be included!).
You can check http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/pypcap/ for more
details...and may be for more ideas.

Thanks,
-Kartic