tiff via email-module

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu Feb 17 11:00:19 EST 2005

Arenz, Ralph wrote:
> hi all,
>
> my problem is to get a tiff-file-attachment out of an email sent by a
> fax-server.
> When i try this with "get_payload(decode='True')" i get additional
> informations, looks like binary-mixed header-information, enveloping the
> tiff-data.

get_payload(decode=1) returns the decoded data. eg. the "binary" value
of a file attachement.

If you get additional information there is most likely something wrong
with your message, or you are not traversing it correctly.

You should do something like::

# untested

def getAttachments(message):
     "Returns attachments from message"
     maintype = message.get_type()
     if maintype == 'application/octet-stream' :
         return [message.get_payload(decode=1)]
     if message.is_multipart():
         attachments = []
         for part in message.walk():
             attachments.append(part.get_payload(decode=1))
         return attachments
     return []

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark