WYSIWYG wxPython "IDE"....?

Luke Skywalker luke at tatooine.planet
Mon Feb 7 08:01:20 EST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:54:08 +0100, Uwe Grauer <news at grauer-online.de>
wrote:
>Most People don't realize, that they have to use the cvs-version
>instead.

It's rather that most people prefer to use the latest stable version,
since stuff under CVS is still under development. Does someone know
why the Boa people didn't extract a newer, stable version from CVS?

To the OP: This topic comes up about every week, and the conclusion I
drew after taking a look, is that Python is not a good solution to
build GUI apps, although it's an excellent command-line, text
scripting tool.

To me, the very fact that the only solution if you don't want to carry
a multi-megabyte widget set with you (either wxWidgets or QT is to go
the MFC way (which a lot of C developers seem to hate) through
PyWin32, and the absence of a really good GUI builder like VB or
Delphi shows that it's just not a good solution to build big GUI apps,
although good enough for smaller apps like BitTorrent etc. Sad, but
true. I guess it just shows that building a GUI development tool like
those two takes quite a lot of work, hence money, but there doesn't
seem to be a demand high enough to warrant this venture.

My conclusion: If you want to write GUI apps that require a very rich
interface while keeping the installer small (and raw performance is
important), Python is currently not a good solution. YMMV :-)

Luke.