Is Python as capable as Perl for sysadmin work?

John M. Gabriele john_sips_teaz at yahooz.com
Mon Feb 7 23:01:18 EST 2005

I recently posted this sort of question to the c.l.p.m but
didn't get much of a response. I know a little Perl and a
little Python, but master neither at the moment.

I see that Python is a general purpose OO programming language
that finds use among some system administrators, but my guess
is that Perl is still more common in that area than Python.

For sysadmin-related tasks, is Python as useful as Perl, or
does it get clumsy when often dealing with the stuff admins
deal with on a regular basis?

At some point during some dingy job in the back boiler room
of Unix, would you find yourself saying, "geez, I'd wish I
started this with Perl -- Python just isn't cutting it." ?

Thanks,
---J

--
--- if replying via email, remove zees ---