Is Python as capable as Perl for sysadmin work?

beliavsky at aol.com beliavsky at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 23:13:30 EST 2005

John M. Gabriele wrote:
> I recently posted this sort of question to the c.l.p.m but
> didn't get much of a response. I know a little Perl and a
> little Python, but master neither at the moment.
>
> I see that Python is a general purpose OO programming language
> that finds use among some system administrators, but my guess
> is that Perl is still more common in that area than Python.
>
> For sysadmin-related tasks, is Python as useful as Perl, or
> does it get clumsy when often dealing with the stuff admins
> deal with on a regular basis?

I'm a Windows user, not a Unix sysadmin, but I've noticed that
Cameron Laird has written several articles on Python for system
administration in Unix Review and Sys Admin magazine, for example
http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=9083/sam0401d/ . Reading his
articles may help you decide if Python is a good fit for your work.