fdups: calling for beta testers

Patrick Useldinger pu at luxemburg.lu
Fri Feb 25 16:26:02 EST 2005

Hi all,

I am looking for beta-testers for fdups.

fdups is a program to detect duplicate files on locally mounted
filesystems. Files are considered equal if their content is identical,
regardless of their filename. Also, fdups ignores symbolic links and is
able to detect and ignore hardlinks, where available.

In contrast to similar programs, fdups does not rely on md5 sums or
other hash functions to detect potentially identical files. Instead, it
does a direct blockwise comparison and stops reading as soon as
possible, thus reducing the file reads to a maximum.

fdups has been developed on Linux but should run on all platforms that
support Python.

fdups' homepage is at http://www.homepages.lu/pu/fdups.html, where
you'll also find a link to download the tar.

I am primarily interested in getting feedback if it produces correct
results. But as I haven't been programming in Python for a year or so,
I'd also be interested in comments on code if you happen to look at it
in detail.

Your help is much appreciated.

-pu