fdups: calling for beta testers

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Feb 26 12:25:00 EST 2005

Patrick Useldinger wrote:
>> (9) Any good reason why the "executables" don't have ".py" extensions
>> on their names?
>
> (9) Because I am lazy and Linux doesn't care. I suppose Windows does?

Unfortunately, yes.  Windows has nothing like the "x" permission
bit, so you have to have an actual extension on the filename and
Windows (XP anyway) will check it against the list of extensions
in the PATHEXT environment variable to determine if it should be
treated like an executable.

Otherwise you must type "python" and the full filename.

-Peter