Big development in the GUI realm

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Fri Feb 11 08:12:44 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:24:22 +0100, Damjan wrote:
> What you described is not ok according to the GPL - since you distributed
> a binary thats derived from GPL software (and you didn't publish it source
> code under the GPL too).

No you didn't. You distributed a binary completely free of any GPL code
whatsoever. The *user* combined your binary and the GPL to produce another
binary, which will never be distributed at all.

In copyright terms, which is what the GPL works under since that is the
law it has, what you distributed is completely unrelated to the GPL'ed
program; there's no grounds to call it "derived".

You may need to re-read the sequence more carefully, or I may have gotten
it wrong.