Big development in the GUI realm

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 11 17:45:09 EST 2005

Jeremy Bowers wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:24:22 +0100, Damjan wrote:
>
>>What you described is not ok according to the GPL - since you distributed
>>a binary thats derived from GPL software (and you didn't publish it source
>>code under the GPL too).
>

> No you didn't. You distributed a binary completely free of any GPL code
> whatsoever. The *user* combined your binary and the GPL to produce another
> binary, which will never be distributed at all.
>
> In copyright terms, which is what the GPL works under since that is the
> law it has, what you distributed is completely unrelated to the GPL'ed
> program; there's no grounds to call it "derived".

You might be on firmer ground if it were legally clear exactly what
"derived work" means. Unfortunately, the courts have been skirting
around the issue of defining "derived work" particularly as it pertains
to software. It is entirely possible that a judge would conclude that
your software is a derived work of the GPL software.

Until such matters are unequivocally determined in a court that has
jurisdiction over you, do you really want to open yourself to legal risk
and certain ill-will from the community?

I'll reiterate my strategy: follow the intentions of the copyright owner
unless if I have actual case law on my side.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter