PyQt documentation

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Fri Feb 11 09:33:15 EST 2005

> The point is that if someone is familiar just to Python and not Qt, or
> the reverse, familiar to Qt and not to Python, it is difficult to see
> the *little* details of implementation.
>
> I say this because I am familiar to Qt and not much to Python, and
> there are simple little mistake I do, that could be avoided if a simple
> example explained it. And a searchable API with examples would be
> perfect for rapid development.
>
> Think about more *new* people using PyQt. I think PyQt if a great
> (actually the gratest ever, IMO) development "enviroment" and as more
> people use it, better it gets.
>
> Thats the reason I want to know if there is a "Qtdoc-like" PyQt doc. If
> it does not exists, let's make it :)
>
> Wanna join?

No. I did do some heavy qt development the last fall, and I never ran into
troubles because of lack of documentation. So at least for me, there is no
need for such a kind of documentation.

Above that I think that your desire for that docs stems from the need for
getting into pythonesque programming whilst developing a qt-app, I have to
say that I don't think that that's a too viable approach in general. Think
of trying to learn C++ using Qt. It's hard enough to grasp the gist of the
language itself - let alone the complications a elaborated - and in this
case even with special preprocessors equipped - library as qt.

So maybe a better way for you would be to learn python by its own, then
trying to use it in conjunction with qt.

Apart from that, I personally found that nearly _no_ python specific stuff
was necessary for my doings - at least out of my head I can't come up with
an example, except name clashes (exec renamed to exec_loop, as its a
keyword in python). All I had to do to make e.g. examples given in C++ work
was to strip curly braces and type declarations. So again: I don't see the
need for that doc. But that's IMHO, of course.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch