OT: why are LAMP sites slow?

Paul Rubin http
Fri Feb 4 11:44:25 EST 2005

Kartic <removethis.kartic.krishnamurthy at gmail.com> writes:
> > Hmm, I wasn't aware that Apache 2.x gave any significant speedups
> > over 1.3 except under Windows.  Am I missing something?
>
> Architectural differences. Apache 1.3 spawns a new process for every
> request and before you know, it brings your resources to their knees.

Oh but it doesn't spawn new processes like that, at least if it's
configured correctly.  It uses "pre-forking", which means it spawns a
bunch of processes when you first start it running, and those
processes persist and serve requests (up to N simultaneously, where N
is the no. of processes).  Sort of like a traditional DB connection
pool.

> The CSS way is using <div> placement of the elements. Actually <div>
> gives better control over placement than with HTML tables. And with
> CSS, since you style the various HTML tags, you can create different
> "skins" for your site too. This is definitely OT, like you said, but
> if you are interested, please contact me directly. I don't pretend to
> be a CSS expert but I can help you as much as I can.

I have some interest in this but I should probably just read up on it,
if it's what everyone is doing these days.  Clearly I'm behind the
times about this stuff.