OT: why are LAMP sites slow?

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Fri Feb 4 09:30:30 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>

>>THis is why, IMHO, things like SOAP a laughable - RPC is a poor
>>foundation for reliable, durable, and high-performance TP.  It might be
>>fine for sending an order or invoice now and then, but sustained through-
>>put of the sort I think of as "high" performance is likely never going to be
>>accomplished with session-oriented architectures.
>

> does 50 gigabytes per day, sustained, count as high performance in your book?

In and of itself, no. But really, the number is meaningless in transaction
processing without some idea of the size and content of the messages (i.e. if
it's binary data that has to be base64 encoded just to make it work with SOAP)
because what's most interesting is the number of transactions that can be handled.

If 50 GB/day is just a measurement of the throughput of the data transport
layer, then that's fairly low - less than 5Mbps!

-Dave