[Fwd: Re: [Uuu-devel] languages] <-- Why Python

Arich Chanachai macrocosm at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 17 17:32:45 EST 2005

pythonUser_07 wrote:

>Some quick thoughts.
>
>1- Python is not new relatively speaking.

Quite true, good point.

>2)- Python is a natural language for learning basic scripting, but can
>carry you through to object oriented program.
>
>3)- Knowing python, instantly gets you access to jython.  I've found
>jython incredibly helpful in learning java.  Finally, jython seems to
>be the defacto test scripting language for java.
>
>Cheers.

These last two points kind of diverge from the point, no?  What I mean
is that we want to present the argument of why Python is the best choice
as THE built-in programming language for the revolutionary uuu operating
system.  Unless Java becomes built-in, the ability to transition from
Python to Jython isn't pertinent info when talking about the uuu
project.  The idea is to have an easily maintainable (hence readable) OS
core of functionality built with Python and to support advanced yet
clean and simple modules which can run on the OS with support from the
ground-up.

On the other hand, are you suggesting against Python in favor of Java?

- Arich