Next step after pychecker

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 1 22:19:41 EST 2005

"Steven Bethard" <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:vvadnbwi6_bqjWLcRVn-vQ at comcast.com...
> I don't know much about what pychecker does, but if it works with the
> bytecode, shouldn't it be fine for jython and IronPython?  I thought the
> bytecode was part of the language spec, and what was CPython specific was
> how the bytecodes were actually implemented...

Nothing about bytecode is part of the language spec.  And CPython bytecode
is version specific.  If the CPython implementation changed from a virtual
stack machine to a virtual register machine, as was once discussed, the
stack-oriented byte code would be replaced by a register-oriented byte code
or virtual machine language.

Jython compiles Python code to JVM (Java Virtual Machine) bytecode.  Parrot
compile to Parrot bytecode.  Ironman compiles, I presume, to .Net CL or
whatever it's called.

Terry J. Reedy