Next step after pychecker

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 23:39:27 EST 2005

Terry Reedy wrote:
 > Nothing about bytecode is part of the language spec.  And CPython
 > bytecode is version specific.  If the CPython implementation changed
 > from a virtual stack machine to a virtual register machine, as was
 > once discussed, the stack-oriented byte code would be replaced by a
 > register-oriented byte code or virtual machine language.

Thanks for the clarification.  I knew the byte-code changed from version
to version, but of course so does the language, so that didn't tell me
much. ;)  So I assume the language spec is basically the grammar and the
Language Reference docs[1]?  Or is there something more formal?

Steve

[1] e.g. http://docs.python.org/ref/ref.html