Moving to Python from PHP - 3 questions

Brian Beck exogen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 17:12:52 EST 2005

Michal Migurski wrote:
> Thank you. My impression of Zope in the past has been that it does what
> I need, along with 10,000 other things I don't (built in WebDAV
> server?!), but clearly I owe it another chance. I've been initially
> attracted to mod_python because of its raw simplicity and its apparent
> similarity to mod_php and mod_perl, which I am familiar with. I'll give
> Zope a try.

Personally, I'd have to say that your impression was right. Once you
start using Zope, you'll start to feel locked in. Sure, it does a lot
for you, but it's also a big investment.

I can't really help you to get mod_python working on OS X, but
concerning your other two points, did you notice these two sections in
the documentation?

http://modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/pyapi-sess.html

http://modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/pyapi-mprequest.html

mod_python and Zope are not your only options by far. In fact, they're
at completely opposite ends of the spectrum; mod_python being low-level
in that you are in control of everything and have the necessary tools to
build a framework, and Zope being the highest-level in that it does tons
of stuff for you. There are dozens of frameworks in between.

If you do manage to get mod_python working, I suggest taking a look at
Vampire as well: http://www.dscpl.com.au/projects/vampire/
I have had good experience with it. Once you start using mod_python
you'll realize you can really go anywhere you want; and that's not
necessarily a good thing. Vampire points you in a nice direction (I
don't want to say 'the right' direction).

--
Brian Beck
Adventurer of the First Order