IPython colors in windows

DogWalker forestiero at qwest.net
Thu Feb 3 23:31:37 EST 2005

"Ashot" <ashot at removemolsoftthis.com> said:

>On 3 Feb 2005 19:18:33 -0800, James <fphsml at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Ashot wrote:
>>> I am using IPython in windows and the LightBG setting doesn't
>> correctly
>>> because the background of the text is black even if the console
>> background
>>> is white.  Anyone know whats going on?  Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ==============================
>>> Ashot Petrosian
>>> University of Texas at Austin, Computer Sciences
>>> (views expressed are solely my own)
>>> ==============================
>>
>> Did you try installing readline for windows?
>> http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html
>>

>yea I've installed that and ctypes.  The color and tab completion work,
>its just that colored get displayed with black background, it almost works
>so its very frustrating..

Did you try the following (from the manual)?:

Input/Output prompts and exception tracebacks

You can test whether the colored prompts and tracebacks work on your system interactively by typing '%colors Linux' at the prompt (use '%colors LightBG' if your terminal has a light background). If the input prompt shows garbage like:
[0;32mIn [[1;32m1[0;32m]: [0;00m
 instead of (in color) something like:
 In [1]:
  this means that your terminal doesn't properly handle color escape sequences. You can go to a 'no color' mode by typing '%colors NoColor'.

  You can try using a different terminal emulator program. To permanently set your color preferences, edit the file $HOME/.ipython/ipythonrc and set the colors option to the desired value.