- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Mon Feb 14 07:09:12 EST 2005

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
>>>Where does that requirement come from? If you want to create large
>>>scale apps, the price for a msvc++ compiler shouldn't matter. And:
>>>Windows is a non-free platform at first. If you have to or want to
>>>develop on top of it, be prepared to pay. Its as simple as that. If
>>>you want something cheaper - you'll have to put some effort into it.
>>>Or use linux.
>>
>>I will not go into this 'twisting' games.
>
> Because it renders your point moot?

no, my requirement renders your 'twisting' 'moot'.

see next line.

>>the requirement "Use of an open-source tool-chain" is nothing special.
>
> There is a OS-tool-chain supported on windows, cygwin.

this depends on cygwin.dll, which is GPL licensed

[or am I wrong?]

additionally: i like to use MinGW.

>>MinGW is not "every imaginable platform/compliler".
>
> Certainly not - but its one more dependency on an otherwise perfectly
[...] - (twisting)

again twisting.

I have a simple requirement.

please do not ignore it.

>>I'm not intrested in creating an distribution.
>
> Obviously nobody else is.

Including the Python Foundation.

>>I provide an analysis of the situation, context: newcomer, disapointed
>>from JAVA.
>
> That doesn't belong here. You don't get points for not liking java.
[...] - (off topic)

[Python Foundation/Community can use this, to attract more users.
The analysis is not the main topic here.]

An essential requirement is the topic.

> Ask the author of the patch. We can't read minds here.

you are right, this can clarify at least the one side.

I've contacted him, see my post in the root of this thread.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com