PyCon signature advertising

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Feb 1 09:47:04 EST 2005

In article <mailman.1690.1107267215.22381.python-list at python.org>,
 "Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:
>
> > I appreciate that not everyone has control over their .sig,

> Take control of your sigs, my sisters and brothers!  Viva la
> Revolution!  Follow the Steve into the heat and light of PyCon.  You can
> achieve enlightenment if only you go to the District on the Eastern Edge
> of the new continents when the spring arrives.  It is only there that
> all will be revealed.  It is only there that you shall find peace.
>
> Joy to the Python world!
> Mike

And the smallest child asked:

Why is this language different from all other languages?.

In all other languages, we are driven to declare our variables in a static
manner, as surely as the compiler compels us to know their types ahead of
time, and be forced to invoke the power of the reinterpret_cast whenever we
need to deviate from the straight path laid out for us.  Why do we not in
this language?

In all other languages, we may indent as we please, depending on the twin
angels of the curly-brace and the semicolon to discern the true meaning
from the meanderings of our code across the pages of our printouts.  Why do
we indent with tabs as rigidly as the rows of corn in our fields in this
language?

In all other languages, we omit explicit references to self, trusting to
context to determine the scope of our variables.  Why in this language do
we speak our own name with overbearing monotony each time we refer to an
instance variable?

In all other languages, we are forced to choose between object orientation
and procedural code and bear the burden of our choice all through the long
days of the project lifecycle.  Why in this language are we free to mix
paradigms, even to the point of using functional programming constructs
only whenever they seem cool and useful without fear of retribution from
the methodology police?

Then the smallest child was silent, and the old man began to speak.