New to unix/python. How to install

Christopher De Vries devries at idolstarastronomer.com
Mon Feb 7 13:59:12 EST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 01:42:22PM -0800, Bobby Owens wrote:
> I've muddled through the python code and figured out parts of it. I've
> now installed Sun Solaris 10 on a VM ware installation successfully
> and can muddle thorough the basics of the o/s. I cant figure out how
> to install python. From looking online I've found what I think I need:
>
> - python-2.3.3-sol9-intel-local
> - libgcc-3.3-sol10-intel-local

I wouldn't worry about these binary packages. Usually under solaris compiling
the source works fine. Download the source from this page:
http://www.python.org/download/

It comes as a gzipped tar file. You can unpack it by issuing the command:

gunzip -c Python-2.4.tgz | tar xvf -

Change into the Python-2.4 directory and run the commands:

./configure
make

as "root" run the command:

make install

Python should install into /usr/local. The python interpreter should be
/usr/local/bin/python. Since python is written in C, you do not need to use the
Gnu C compiler to compile it, ./configure should find an appropriate C
compiler, and everything should work fine. Feel free to reply if this series of
steps does not work.

Good luck,

Chris