- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Feb 14 15:15:07 EST 2005

"Pat" wrote:

> Okay, I think we are pretty much talking about the same thing.  My
> problem is not that I'm unable or unwilling to purchase a good
> compiler.  My problem is that I don't want to make it a requirement of
> my users.  The twist is that my users will be working out of a
> Subversion repository that includes source code for extensions written
> in C.  Those extensions need to be compiled, and the code changes too
> frequently for me to want to deal with supplying compiled binaries.

here's what I do to supply compiled binaries for 2.1 through 2.4:

    > mkall
    > upload dist

> So I'm looking for options for Windows users who do not have, and are
> unwilling to get, a Microsoft compiler.  For some users, minGW is an
> attractive option.  For those who want to use minGW, I'm trying to
> establish whether or not minGW is a viable option, particularly for
> Python 2.4.

here's what I just did (time in minutes):

    +00: googled for the mingw home page
    +00: found the mingw download page
    +02: finally figured out what to download
    +03: noticed that my usual SF site only offered 1K/s; aborted download
    +07: finished downloading the mingw kit from another SF site
    +17: finished installing
    +18: added \mingw\bin to the path
    +18: typed "python setup.py install --compiler=mingw32"
    +18: got a linker error; googled for help
    +19: copied python24.dll to \mingw\lib
    +20: finished building the sample library (cElementTree); all tests pass

so what's your excuse for not doing this? ;-)

</F>