PyQt and Python 2.4 - also WinXP LnF?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 04:18:34 EST 2005

> After quite a while of wxPython I'm getting back into PyQt, mainly due
> to the announcement by Trolltech that they will make a GPL version of
> Qt4 for Windows (and Phil-T said he will make a PyQt to go with it
> eventually!)
>
> I'm currently using PyQt 3.12 that comes with the BlackAdder demo, it
> seems to work fine with Python 2.3.5 except that it doesn't support the
> WinXP look'n'feel, the QStyle "WindowsXP" isn't included, and using a
> manifest file doesn't seem to fix this.
>
> Does anyone know if the latest PyQt (3.13?) is built with this support?
> I thought this had been supported since 3.10 or earlier, is it just the
> BlackAdder build that's "broken"?

PyQt supports the WindowsXP style if Qt has been built with it enabled.

> I'm writing an XMMS remote control program, so it will be GPL when
> released (if it's ever good enough to release!) so I'm looking at
> buying the commercial PyQt3 or BlackAdder whilst waiting for the GPL
> PyQt4
>
> Can I use the commercial PyQt without a commercial Qt - I guess I could
> as long as I don't distribute the qt-mt333.dll? I have no use for Qt
> itself, not interested in C++, so it seems a bit much to have to buy a
> license just for a DLL!

No. PyQt is supplied as a source package. You don't have the Qt .h files
needed to compile it. One point of the BlackAdder license is that you
can't use the bundled version of Qt to build C++ applications - even if
that C++ application is another version of PyQt.

> Also, would I have to build it all myself or does Riverbank/TheKompany
> provide binaries like PyQt 3.13 for Python 2.4, as I don't have Visual
> Studio I can't build it myself.

We don't provide binaries, but the free MSVC, Borland and MinGW compilers
are all supported.

> OK, I'm off to check on my build of PyQt on my Fedora2/Python 2.4
> machine ;-)

Phil