type of simple object

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue Feb 1 07:54:12 EST 2005

"ajikoe at gmail.com" <ajikoe at gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you guys.
>
> My function should multiply every element  of a list, for example
> "something"
> and "something" can be an integer or another list.
> If it deals with integer than it is ok, but
> If it deals with list than it become false for example list*2 =
> listlist, and what I really want is to mutlitply its member.

Which member? A list can have many members ... or none at all.

> That's why I need to know the type of my data in "something".

No, you don't need to know its type at all. You need to know whether
it is a sequence or not ... which is a far cry from knowing its type.

> By the way I am new in python, I heard that it has a MatLab
> capabilities, How good is that?

Depends on what you mean by "MatLab capabilities". Matlab is highly
matrix oriented, therefore it provides lots of fast matrix operations,
and syntactic sugar for dealing with matrices. If you want to think of
everything as a matrix, then you could well be disappointed by
Python.

There is a package for driving matlab from Python, which you might
find interesting (it might even be what you meant by "MatLab
capabilities"). Google is your friend.