Big development in the GUI realm

Luke Skywalker luke at tatooine.planet
Mon Feb 7 17:30:55 EST 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:57:51 +1100, Tim Churches
<tchur at optushome.com.au> wrote:
>Thus, it seems to me, and to the expert legal advice which we sought
>(note the scope of the advice was Australian law only) that provided no
>GLPed source or object code is mixed, included or combined with
>non-GPLed code, and that the GPLed and non-GPLed code are distributed or
>otherwise made available in packages which are very clearly separate
>works, and that any interaction between the two is restricted to
>runtime, then the GPL does not require that non-GPLed code to be
>distributed under the GPL.

That's how I understood things, ie. calling a standard, clearly
independent (ie. EXE or DLL) binary downloaded from the project's web
site and just calling it is not covered by the GPL since no change has
been made whatsoever to the original work.

Which makes sense, since the goal of the GPL is to make sure that no
one can steal the code, correct bugs or add features without
redistributing those changes.

Muddy waters, indeed :-)

Luke.