variable declaration

Alexander Alexander_Zatvornitskiy at p131.f3.n5025.z2.fidonet.org
Wed Feb 9 17:27:09 EST 2005

Hi, Steve!

07 feb 2005 at 17:51, Steve Holden wrote:
 >> information about variable S to the memory. I don't find big
 >> difference. By the way keyword "def" is as bad as "var", from your
 >> point of view? :)
 SH> If your colloquial English is good enough to understand the word
 SH> "bollocks" then you might begin to realize how irritating your
 SH> arguments are becoming.
Well, I have a dictionary. Let's look. "Man with grey bollocks - wise,
experienced man".Hm, I'am realy have some experience in some areas:)

 SH> If, as you suggest, def were a declaration, then it should either not
 SH> be possible to write
 SH>      if __debug__:
 SH>          def func(x):
 SH>              print x, "is bollocks"

if __debug__:
  ~S=0

S=5 #error in non-debug mode.
print S

That's not the same I suppose from the beginning, but it also can be helpfull.
More exactly, it is not 'variable declaration' but 'variable definition'.

 >> But, I am friendly, even with my opponents. I think it is my good
 >> trait.
 SH> You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, self-serving though it
 SH> may be. A friendly idiot is still an idiot.

No comments.

 >> Don't be so ... I don't find the equivalent english word. Smth like:
 >> Take it more easy.
 SH> Please don't insult the martellibot.

It was not an insult. It is not in my rules, as I said before. It's just an
advice. "global" is in Python, but he is still alive - hence it's not as big
problem as he say.

 SH> He did, after all, write "Python
 SH> in a Nutshell" and co-edited the "Python Cookbook", and he has
 SH> established a reputation with his consistent long-term contribution to
 SH> Python and this newsgroup. Instead, ask yourself why your remarks
 SH> engender such a response from a pillar of the Python community. What
 SH> are your credentials?

Well, for python community - 0. Now, you can only read my messages and think
about them. After all, idiot who made contribution is still idiot, isn't it?
(it's not about A.M., of course)

Alexander, zatv at bk.ru