advice needed for simple python web app

Dan Perl danperl at rogers.com
Fri Feb 4 02:00:53 EST 2005

"Brian Beck" <exogen at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ctv48p$75$1 at eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...
> From my experience, this appears to be the order from low-level to
> high-level interfaces:
>
> 1. mod_python: As complex as you need it to be, since you can control
> anything about the request & response process. But more up-front work and
> decisions to make than CherryPy.
> 2. mod_python with Vampire: Directs you toward a specific publishing
> framework that is similar to CherryPy.
> 3. CherryPy: Like Vampire but simpler and doesn't require mod_python. The
> simplest blend between low-level server interface and ease-of-publishing.
> 4. Twisted: Seems like this is a big package to work with, not sure how
> easy it makes publishing once you get started-- better that someone else
> comment on this.
> 5. Zope: The most complex solution, doesn't necessarily make the 'easy
> things easy.' But covers all fronts in terms of what a user would ever
> need.
> 6. Zope with Plone: Adds a ton of publishing functionality. Has many ways
> to extend, but none of them are fun. You'll have to learn such complex
> APIs that Python will rarely help you.

This is exactly the kind of summary that I think should be in a
WebProgrammingShootOut (see another one of my postings in this thread) but I
failed to find such a summary.  Thanks, Brian!  Anyone can add to the list?

BTW, there are other people who seem to have been also confused by the wide
spectrum of choices for this problem:
http://pyre.third-bit.com/hippoblog/archives/000058.html