Python in EDA

Michael Sparks zathras at thwackety.com
Sat Feb 12 08:12:34 EST 2005

On 11 Feb 2005 vsapre80 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Python and coming from the EDA/VLSI Design background.
>
> I wanted to know if there are some active projects going on EDA modules
> written in Python.

You may want to take a look at MyHDL & APVM/Oroboro:
   * http://jandecaluwe.com/Tools/MyHDL/Overview.html
   * http://apvm.sourceforge.net/ (and specifically
     http://apvm.sourceforge.net/oro_025.html)

The former aims to used python as an HDL allowing a subset of python to be
used to design hardware, the latter is aimed at helping verilog based
hardware verification (by the looks of things).

Both use python generators to handle concurrency. For a brief and nice
introduction to generators, it's well worth reading this article:
   * http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pythrd.html

Best Regards,

Michael.