IDLE history, Python IDE, and Interactive Python with Vim

Ashot ashot at removethismolsoft.com
Wed Feb 2 21:45:48 EST 2005

This is sort of both Python and Vim related (which is why I've posted to
both newsgroups).

Python related:
----------------------
I have been frustrated for quite some time with a lack of a history
command in IDLE (in fact with IDLE in general).  Often I'll develop new
code at the command line, testing each line as I go.  Currently I have to
copy and paste, removing outputs and the ">>>" at each line.
Is it perhaps possible to make some kind of hack to do this (dump a
command history)?

Idle in general isn't that great IMO, so I was wondering also if there are
better alternatives out there?  What do people use mostly?  I've tried
something called pyCrust, but this too didn't have history and some other
things I was looking for.  On a more general note, although the agility
and simplicity of Python make programming tools like an IDE less
necessary, it still seems that Python is lacking in this departement.  The
PyDev plug-in for Eclipse seems like good step in this direction, although
I haven't tried it yet.  Does anyone have any experience with this, or
perhaps can point me to other tools.

Vim related:
----------------------
Ideally, it would be nice to have a command mapped to a keystroke that can
append the last executed command to a file.  Even better would be a system
that would integrate the file editing and interactive command line tool
more seamlessly.  Something along the lines of a debugger + file editor
+ command line utility, where file editor = vim.  I know that vim has a
utility for running python commands from its command prompt, but I have
had a hard time getting this to work in windows and haven't explored it.
Has anyone seen/tried a system along these lines, perhaps incorporating
the python debugger (pdb)?  I can see something that will run the file you
are editing in vim up to the cursor or a mark with a set_trace at the line
you are editing.

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

--
Ashot Petrosian
University of Texas at Austin, Computer Sciences