Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 21:52:21 EST 2005

Scott David Daniels <scott.daniels at acm.org> wrote:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Benji York <benji at benjiyork.com> writes:
> >> Perhaps it's off-topic for this thread, but I think "picking a
> >> database" is the first mistake most people make.  It's a form of
> >> premature optimization.
> >
> > For lots of problems, that's true. But not for all of them.
>
> If the data you store and update is sufficiently valuable to your
> enterprise, picking a database may be vital.  Transactions guarantee
> every update either happens or not, and infrastructure is provided
> for you to be able to backup and restore the data you've obtained.

A good point, but there are others.  If the data is valuable, there WILL
be requests from parts of the enterprise to use that data in other ways
that were originally not anticipated.  If you keep the data in a
relational DB with any kind of sensible schema, then the data IS
reusable, including in impromptu exploratory ways from interactive
prompts of many kinds -- you don't necessarily need "programmers" to
enable such reuse.

Picking ONE database engine may well be premature nevertheless --
perhaps the small amounts of data you have today make SQLite ideal, but
tomorrow there will be many more data, and you'll want PostgreSQL, or
whatever; which is why maintaining portability among different databases
may well be a great choice, even when it requires the overhead of a
"database independence layer".  But being able to rely on a relational
underlying model remains an excellent idea in many cases, even when
minute details of SQL dialects &c require such a layer...

Alex