Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 22:17:20 EST 2005

chuck <cmedcoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> > People keep talking about Python's wealth of web frameworks as if it
> > were a bad thing.
>
> I disagree somewhat.  While variety and choice are nice, sometimes
> having too many choices may inhibit people from trying the language
> because they don't know where to start in terms of framworks.  Maybe
> I'm wrong but if there is an element of truth what I suggest then that
> would be a terrible shame since Python is such a great language.
> Python's popularity might improve if there were a bit more unity within
> the Python community with regards to (web) frameworks.

I agree with chuck.  I've seen excellent programmers explain why for
some urgent problem they chose Ruby on Rails rather than Java or Python:
Ruby has ONE web framework (that matters), so the choice was finished
there; to evaluate properly 50 frameworks for Java or 20 for Python
would have taken weeks or months...

Alex