Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 22:37:11 EST 2005

Alex Martelli wrote:

> I agree with chuck.  I've seen excellent programmers explain why for
> some urgent problem they chose Ruby on Rails rather than Java or Python:
> Ruby has ONE web framework (that matters), so the choice was finished
> there; to evaluate properly 50 frameworks for Java or 20 for Python
> would have taken weeks or months...

That doesn't make much sense, no matter how excellent those programmers were. If
Java and Python were ever on the table, then those 50 or 20 other frameworks
would still need to be evaluated *with* RoR.

Picking RoR because you want to do the project in Ruby makes sense. Picking Ruby
because it only has one web framework is as silly as picking one Python web
framework at random. Just because RoR is the only Ruby web framework around
doesn't mean it's suitable for every project.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter