Tabs bad (Was: ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!)

Tom Anderson twic at urchin.earth.li
Sun Dec 4 17:00:18 EST 2005

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, [utf-8] Björn Lindström wrote:

> This article should explain it:
>
> http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

Ah, Jamie Zawinski, that well-known fount of sane and reasonable ideas.

It seems to me that the tabs-vs-spaces thing is really about who controls
the indentation: with spaces, it's the writer, and with tabs, it's the
reader. Does that match up with people's attitudes? Is it the case that
the space cadets want to control how their code looks to others, and the
tabulators want to control how others' code looks to them?

I wonder if there's a further correlation between preferring spaces to
tabs and the GPL to the BSDL ...

tom

Lexicographical PS: 'tabophobia' is, apparently, fear of the
neurodegenerative disorder tabes dorsalis.

--
3118110161	Pies