ANNOUNCE; Try python beta

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Dec 21 14:30:53 EST 2005

Eric <groups at brainshell.org> writes:
> I'm not sure about everyone else, but I find the big warnings about
> CSS and JavaScript almost as annoying as the fact that it doesn't do
> anything.  At all, even with JavaScript enabled.  Then again, my main
> browser is elinks, so my opinion is somewhat biased.

Well, if you have CSS working properly and JavaScript enabled, you
won't get the warnings. Would you honestly prefer that it just quietly
not work at all, rather than tell you why it doesn't work? At least it
doesn't insult your intelligence by telling you how to enable them for
browsers you aren't using.

> If you get it working in Lynx, supporting other browsers should be
> easier than the other posts make this solution sound.

True. On the other hand, it was designed from the ground up to use
AJAT, to keep the traffic required to update the page at a sane
level. Future plans also depend on JavaScript, since it's required for
the basic functionality in any case.

A version could be designed that didn't keep the history around that
would work in lynx (though I'd test it in my preference: w3m) and used
the same evaluation back end. That would look a lot less like the
python interpreter, though. If you want to do that, I'd be more than
happy to provide a link to it, or even host it. Otherwise, I'll think
about it after I finish the currently planned version.

      <mike