installer question

Guy Robinson guy at NOSPAM.r-e-d.co.nz
Thu Dec 8 20:31:31 EST 2005

Target audience is little or no programming experience.

I have a win32 only library I need to write an installer for. As part of the
installation it must:
1.. find where a program is installed
2.. copy a file to the directory
3.. add the directory to the pythonpath and change a ini file.
4.. add a example directory at a user selected path.As well as add this to
pythonpath.
5.. Add the main library to site packages.

There is also a package of examples which need to be independently upgradable
and located in the main directory.

Suggestions?
I'm thinking disutils would make for the easiest method but as far as I can see
you can't run a script on finishing the installation or get the user to select
from a directory. Nor does it seem contain methods to find windows programs
without downloading pythonwin32 as well.

For the examples, NSIS or equivalent looks to be what I need but overly
complicated. Can you combine NSIS and disutils? Or should I just use NSIS
without disutils.

Advice appreciated. The first time I've released software before ;-)

Guy